Spirit attachment has been known about by mediums and psychics for a very long time but is only now coming into the limelight – mainly due to the increase in paranormal investigations.
Spirit attachment is basically just what it says, a living person has the energy or spirit of a dead person/entity attached to them. Many are parasitic, some malevolent others are benign. There are also the few rare cases where it is alleged that spirits have attached to people who then are able to do things they had no talent for previously such as writing music, painting, drawing, writing poetry and so on. However, in most cases attachments range from being temporary and unpleasant to long-term and terrifying. There are also physical and mental health complications.
Why Can A Spiritual Attachment Take Place?
There can be many reasons why a spirit attachment occurs but the most common reasons are given below:
- Many earthbound spirits attach simply because they find comfort in re-living some of the physical aspects of life. Others are confused and don’t realise they are dead and want to get close to a living person. In this case they are often trying to contact the living for help. These attachments might be deliberate or happen without the spirit realising what it’s doing. In these cases the spirits don’t usually have any intention of harming the person they are attached to.
- Other spirits and entities deliberately seek out the energy of living people. It’s not possible within the scope of this short article to go into the esoteric or spiritual theories on these spirits and entities. They are known by many names and basically they feed on the energy given off by people in the physical world. For spirits to do this, the easiest way is to take the huge resources of a living person and drain the energy away from them – very much like a parasite. Indeed many of these energy stealing manifestations are called psychic vampires. In addition, the most common type of spirit who is both determined and strong enough to latch on are usually malevolent. They not only want energy but enjoy creating havoc with their host and those around them.
What Are The Categories Of Spiritual Attachments?
- Following: This is where the spirit or entity has not actually attached to a person but is in the vicinity. People have reported a strong sense of not being alone, being followed and watched by an unseen presence. This level can also produce paranormal phenomena such as rappings, voices and other noises. People often report seeing a black mist or cloud near and/or above them that can feel threatening. Observers may also report thinking and saying things that are out of character when this presence is near.
- Shadowing: Although the spirit has not yet attached there is an increase in the sensation of being watched and followed – this impression is more intense than the previous level. People now start to report such things as irrational mood swings, depression and feelings of anxiety.
- Attachment: This stage is said to have been reached when the person experiences all of the above but to a much higher degree and frequently during the day and night. Some therapists call this stage ‘oppression’.
- Final stages:The final stages here are not often reached even without help, but they have been termed as ‘obsession’ and then ‘possession’.Jessy Barnett